A tourist submarine has vanished while exploring the Titanic shipwreck in the Atlantic Ocean, authorities said.
The Boston Coast Guard said a search began on Monday for the small sub, which takes tourists to view the famous shipwreck that sits about 12,500 feet at the bottom of the ocean off the coast of Newfoundland, Canada, the BBC reported.
It remains unclear how many passengers, if any, were on board the sub when it disappeared and what tourist company owned the vessel.
The Boston Coast Guard did not immediately respond to The Post’s request for additional information.
The wreck of the disaster has remained a popular tourist destination, with passengers taking to the depth to see the haunting site where more than 1,500 passengers died after the “unsinkable” ship struck an iceberg and sank while sailing from Southampton, England, to New York in April 1912.
The wreck was discovered in the Atlantic in 1985 about 370 miles off the Canadian coast, with the ship lying in two parts after it split in half during its sinking.
The catastrophe was immortalized in James Cameron’s 1997 film “Titanic,” starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet. The film shattered box office records at the time, earning $2.25 billion.
Tickets to view the shipwreck can go as high as $250,000, according to OceanGate Expeditions, one of the companies that offer submarine rides to the site.
The company touts the eight-day trip as a “chance to step outside of everyday life and discover something truly extraordinary.”
The dives themselves can last up to 10 hours each, with the company boasting about recent trips to the Titanic on social media. The company noted that because of its location in the middle of the Atlantic, they rely on Elon Musk’s Starlink satellites for its communications at sea.
The company posted on Twitter that one expedition to the Titanic was ongoing, with two more planned for June 2024.
OceanGate Expeditions CEO Stockton Rush told CBS late last year that his company sees no shortage of “Titaniacs,” people obsessed with the ship who “would mortgage their homes or wouldn’t even blink at the cost of this trip.”
Rush boasted that his five-person sub was one of the few capable of visiting the wreckage.
Last month, Atlantic Productions and deep-sea mapping company Magellan Ltd. released a series of more than 700,000 scans of the wreckage, displaying stunning 3D reconstructions of the doomed cruise liner.
The images were taken by a team using remote-controlled submersibles to survey the ship, a project that took more than 200 hours to complete.
SOURCE: New york post