Golden State Killer’ suspect appears in court after 40 year manhunt

Golden State Killer’ suspect appears in court after 40 year manhunt

A former policeman accused of being the “Golden State killer” has made his first court appearance, 30 years after the decade-long series of attacks.

Joseph James DeAngelo, 72, appeared before a judge in an orange prison jumpsuit, handcuffed to a wheelchair.

He was formally arraigned on two murder charges dating back to 1978, and prosecutors said they expect more charges.

DeAngelo is a suspect in 11 other murders and 51 rapes committed across California between 1976 and 1986.

The father of three adult daughters was arrested on Tuesday at his home in Citrus Heights, a Sacramento suburb, after a 40-year manhunt.

DeAngelo
Joseph James DeAngelo, in court on Friday

DeAngelo spoke only briefly in court to confirm he had a lawyer. He did not enter a plea, and was denied bail.

Scott Jones, Sacramento county sheriff, said DeAngelo is on suicide watch in the psychiatric ward of the county jail. If convicted, he could face the death penalty.

It emerged on Friday that police last year believed they had found the killer in an Oregon nursing home, after they used information from a genealogy website.

An Oregon police officer working at the request of California investigators persuaded a judge to order a 73-year-old man in an Oregon City nursing home to provide a DNA sample.

It is not clear if officers collected the sample and ran further tests, but it was not the man arrested this week outside Sacramento in one of the state’s most notorious string of serial rapes and killings.

The case of mistaken identity was discovered as authorities hailed the novel use of DNA technology.

Crime scene DNA from DeAngelo was matched with genetic material stored in an online database, GEDmatch, by a distant relative.

Police waited for him to discard items and then swabbed the objects for DNA, which proved a conclusive match to the evidence that had been preserved more than 30 years.

DeAngelo
An FBI photo showing a home ransacked in the 1970s or 80s by the wanted man

Curtis Rogers, who co-founded GEDmatch, said law enforcement’s use of the site raised privacy concerns. Police did not require a warrant, and Mr Rogers was unaware that his site had been used.

“This was done without our knowledge, and it’s been overwhelming,” he said.

DNA was just coming into use as a criminal investigative tool in 1986 when the predator also known as the East Area Rapist apparently ended his decade-long wave of attacks.

As a former police officer, DeAngelo probably would have known about the new method, experts said.

Police at the time suspected they were chasing a fellow policeman or armed services member because he was so methodical and meticulous, said Wendell Phillips, a former Sacramento deputy involved in the hunt.

All those involved in the search were asked to take DNA tests.

“Obviously, you didn’t want the East Area Rapist on the team,” said Mr Phillips. “That turned out to be a pretty good concern.”

Please send us your Feedback, News Item, Photos and/or Videos to our WhatsApp Number 1-876-353-1389 or Email [email protected]

Recently Published

Man Perish in Fire in St. James

Man Perish in Fire in St. James

A 57-year-old, man lost his life in a fire which completely destroyed his board dwelling house in Anchovy, St James, on Monday night, January 13th. The deceased has been identified as Balferd Boyde,  laborer of Wiltshire. Reports are that shortly after 9:30 p.m., on Monday, residents living at a section of Anchovy known as Wiltshire, […]

UNDA-DI-MANGO-TREE-Unnu-Stop-Attack-People-Pikney-Everybody-Needs-A-Friend-Like-That
UNDA-DI-MANGO-TREE-Stop-Judging-the-Woman-Allow-her-Soul-to-Rest-In-Peace...RIP-Nordia-Markland
ILLEGAL FIREARM SEIZED IN HARBOUR VIEW

Two Illegal Firearms Seized in St James 

Jamaica Crime News, St James: Five persons were taken into custody, following the seizure of two illegal firearms and several rounds of ammunition, during an operation carried out in Rosemount, St James, on Tuesday night. The police say they are unable to release the name of the five men at this early time, as only one […]

Olivia Grange

Plans for Two More Running Tracks in Kingston and Central Jamaica

Jamaica News: There are plans for the installation of additional running tracks in Kingston and central Jamaica. Minister of Culture, Gender, Entertainment and Sport, Hon. Olivia Grange, made the disclosure during her visit to observe repair work at the Stadium East running track in Kingston, yesterday (January 7). The upgrading work is scheduled to be […]

Christopher Tuffton890-

Health Ministry Making Progress in Containing Dengue

Jamaica News: Minister of Health, Dr. the Hon. Christopher Tufton, is giving the assurance that the team at the Ministry is making progress and will continue to take the appropriate actions necessary to contain the dengue virus. He made the remarks during a statement in the House of Representatives on Tuesday (January 8) at Gordon […]