Chinese tennis star Peng tells Olympic officials she is safe in a video call

Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai had a video call on Sunday with the president of the International Olympic Committee and told him she was safe and well, the IOC said after Western governments expressed mounting concern for her well-being.

In a statement, the IOC said its President Thomas Bach had spoken to Ms. Peng for 30 minutes.

Her absence triggered widespread concern, with international sports stars and governments calling on China to provide proof that she was safe.

The IOC statement also included an image of the video call taking place, with Ms. Peng seen smiling at the camera.

The outcry over the tennis star’s apparent disappearance from the public eye prompted Chinese state media to release a series of photographs and videos that appeared to show all was well.

Earlier on Sunday, a state media journalist posted a video clip on Twitter showing Ms. Peng smiling while standing with officials at a tennis tournament in Beijing.

Reuters news agency reported that the event organisers also published photos of the player on the event’s official WeChat page.

But a spokesperson from the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) told Reuters the videos were “insufficient” evidence of her safety and did not address its concerns about Ms. Peng.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

T Rizzy D Covenant Ft. Troxie Q - Treat her like a Queen (Official Music Video)