Two more top-10-ranked women’s tennis players have confirmed their withdrawal from the US Open tournament with world No. 5 Elina Svitolina of Ukraine and world No. 7 Kiki Bertens from the Netherlands have become the latest players to pull out of Flushing Meadows.
In a statement, Svitolina, a semi-finalist last year, said she did not feel comfortable travelling to the US “without putting her team and herself at high risk”.
Bertens also pulled out because of Dutch government regulations that require people returning from the United States to quarantine for two weeks.
The 28-year-old said that would disturb preparations for her “beloved clay-court tournaments”.
Australia’s world No. 1 Ashleigh Barty is the only other women’s top 20 players to have withdrawn so far, although No. 2 Simona Halep, from Romania is not expected to play either.
Defending men’s champion and world No. 2 Rafael Nadal, from Spain has not entered, and his great rival Roger Federer of Switzerland is absent recovering from injury, but world No. 1 Novak Djokovic, from Serbia, is on the entry list.
The tournament is scheduled to begin on August 31, 2020, and will be played without fans.