New York based, two-time Grammy award winning producer, sound designer and renowned disc jockey, Shaun “Sting International” Pizzonia wants the public to know that he had no involvement in Shaggy’s latest musical project which he describes as a desperate move.
The project is the remake of Shaggy’s 2000 Hot Shot Album which Sting International co-produced. Shaun also coauthored many of the tracks featured on the album, namely Hot Shot, It Wasn’t Me, Freaky Girl, Hey Love and Chica Bonita.
Shaggy announced last week that he would be releasing a new version of his multi-Platinum studio album, which will be called Hot Shot 2020, to commemorate the original album’s 20th anniversary. In wake of the announcement, a statement was released via Instagram on Monday (April 13th) by Sting International declaring that the former and original production label for the album has absolutely nothing to do with the new re-recordings in the current remake.
“For the record people, IT WAS NOT ME! I have absolutely NOTHING to do with these re-recordings of my former hit productions. Please do not judge me for them as I had 0 involvement in this project,” the post read.
Shaun “Sting International” Pizzonia. Photo – Instagram/@stinginternational
Early 2018 was the last time Sting International had any business dealings with Shaggy and his brand. “I have removed myself from any involvement from this artist since March of 2018. Any production heard after that date has absolutely no involvement of mine. And these remake attempts were released against my wishes,” Pizzonia said.
The production company last worked with the Boombastic reggae artiste when he collaborated with former rock band Police front man, Sting on their 44/876 album. The iconic duo made headlines with their unlikely musical pairing, snatching the best-selling reggae album after its 2018 release.
However in a Billboard interview that year, Shaun Pizzonia disclosed that there were some major changes done on the final album after his submission. He went on to strongly indicate that had he gotten his way, the album would have not only sounded different but also a lot better.
In his lengthy Instagram post, Shaun also said he has held his tongue far too long in regards to the new Hot Shot 2020 album and as such continued by adding “I don’t do desperate moves and I never will, especially when my legacy would be at risk of devaluation. Thank you to all of the fans of my original productions”.
Boldly reiterating the same opinions he expressed to Billboard those few years ago, that Shaggy’s current work is of pretty substandard quality, he then listed the songs he takes accountability for. Those being listed below:
Boombastic (co-produced / R. Livingston )
That Girl ft Maxi Priest
It Wasn’t Me
Strength Of A Woman
Fight This Feeling ft. Beres Hammond (co-produced / Sly & Robbie)
He finished by saying, “This is a short list but now you know the “secret sauce” in the hit pot. Sting International.”
In January, miscommunication with Rihanna’s team led to media buzz after Shaggy was quoted as saying that he didn’t want to be auditioned to appear on the Barbadian singer’s upcoming reggae/dancehall-themed album. Rihanna’s team denied the claims, saying “we are working on an album, not a talent show, so why would she (Rihanna) require Shaggy or any other artist to audition?”.
The 2020 version of It Wasn’t Me was released on April 10, 2020 and features Shaggy and Rayvon. The original singer Rikrok doesn’t appear on the new version. Listen below.