A Manhattan lawyer accused in a string of sexual assaults was ordered to pay an additional $50,000 bail on new charges in Boston Thursday — as he left court with his devoted fiancée.
Matthew Nilo, 35, of New Jersey, was ordered to pay the additional $50,000 for the new charges stemming from five alleged attacks on four women in the North End between 2007 and 2008. The accused serial rapist already posted $500,000 cash bail at his previous arraignment
The disgraced lawyer will remain free on bail and is allowed to return home to New Jersey, but will still have to wear a GPS tracker, according to ABC News. His passport has been revoked.
After pleading not guilty, Nilo was briefly handcuffed and held in custody before posting his new bail.
His fiancée, Laura Griffin, stood by him in court on Thursday, wearing a stoic black outfit as she sat beside her well-dressed fiance.
|Matthew Nilo and his fiancee, Laura Griffin, walk hand-in-hand after leaving Suffolk County Court in Boston.|
Nilo’s attorney accused the government of “piling” more sexual assault cases onto his client in an attempt to solve them.
“They have not turned over any discovery from the new allegations, no police reports,” Joseph Cataldo told reporters outside court, according to Fox News.
“I think they’re trying to solve some unresolved cases, and I think the government might be piling on, just trying to claim that Mr. Nilo committed these crimes.”
He also labeled the government obtaining Nilo’s DNA through a drinking glass he used at a corporate event “unconstitutional,” as he said authorities did not obtain a warrant.
One of Nilo’s alleged victims, Lori Pinkham, also attended the court session on Thursday, saying: “Somebody has to be here. Someone has to hold him accountable.
“I’m not ashamed of what happened, I didn’t do anything wrong. He is disgusting,” she told CBS News Boston. “He should be the one that should be ashamed.”
One of the alleged victims in the case was attacked twice within 11 days, according to the district attorney.
“The incidents followed a similar pattern. The victims were attacked while they were walking alone, in the dark, either at night or early in the morning,” the DA’s office said in a statement.
Last month, the former Boston resident was indicted in Suffolk County on seven charges, including rape, assault, and battery.
He was also accused of raping three women in the Terminal Street area of Charlestown between August 2007 and December 2008.
Nilo also allegedly threatened some of his victims with a gun and a knife, an initial hearing revealed.
Nilo had been living in the North End of Boston when the alleged attacks took place and the Boston Latin School graduate would have been around the ages of 19 and 20.
District Attorney Kevin Hayden said DNA evidence from a glass he used at a corporate event was used to link Nilo to the crimes. Nilo became a person of interest in 2022.
The lawyer was taken into custody on May 30 after an FBI sting, in which he was lured out of his luxury apartment after he was told to come get a package that was too large to store in the mailroom.
Griffin later posted $500,000 of his $5 million bail to get him out of jail.
Nilo’s expected to return to court on September 14.
SOURCE: New york post