Defending champion Rafael Nadal confirmed on Tuesday, August 4, 2020, that he will not play at US Open his year at Flushing Meadows as organisers released the singles entry list for the Grand Slam.
Spanish world No. 2 Nadal, 34, had said in June that he had reservations about travelling to the US amid the COVID-19 pandemic and he joins women’s world No. 1 Australian Ash Barty in skipping the tournament due to COVID-19 concerns.
The Madrid Open, which was scheduled to take place from September 12-20, was cancelled on Tuesday due to the rise of COVID-19 cases in the Spanish capital.
The United States has the highest tally in the world with more than 4.7 million confirmed novel coronavirus cases and nearly 156,000 deaths, according to a Reuters tally.
Serbia’s world No. 1 Novak Djokovic, a three-time champion in New York, headlines the men’s list along with last year’s runner-up Russian Daniil Medvedev and other top 10 players including Dominic Thiem of Austria, Stefanos Tsitsipas of Greece and German Alexander Zverev.
Swiss star Roger Federer, a five-time US Open champion will also be absent after the 38-year-old was forced to undergo knee surgery in June that prematurely ended his 2020 season.
Nine of the top 10 women’s players, including 23-times Grand Slam champion Serena Williams of the United States and defending champion Bianca Andreescu of Canada is on the entry list along with 2018 champion Naomi Osaka of Japan.
As many as 13 Grand Slam champions are in the women’s draw including Romania’s Simona Halep, the reigning Wimbledon champion and 2018 French Open winner, and this year’s Australian Open champion American Sofia Kenin.
Organisers said the seedings would be announced closer to the start of the tournament which is scheduled for August 31.