Rupert and Merle Miller will never forget Labour Day, May 25.
It came just over a week after they watched their nine-bedroom house go up in flames in Kinloss district in Trelawny, on Sunday, May 17.
.Reports are that the flame was started by one of the couple’s grandsons who was playing with fire which got out of control and engulfed the entire house.
For most people in Jamaica, Labour Day was different this year involving working at home because of COVID-19, putting paid to the usual community activities.
But for residents in Kinloss and surrounding areas, joined by members of the Haddington New Testament Church, it was a day to labour for the home of one of the elderly couple.
The resident put hands and heart together, and began to do some repair and refurbishing work on the building. There were masons, plumbers, chefs, cooks, and handymen from all around giving a hand to help the couple get back into their house as quickly as possible.
Tamica Palmer one of the couple’s granddaughters was pleased for the help. “I feel so proud to see so many people rallying around and giving a helping hand to my grandparents, although I am still in a little bit of shock,” she said. “I give thanks for the help, I want to make a special thanks to Member of Parliament for North Trelawny Victor Wright who has contributed to the effort.”
In the meantime, Tamica Palmer is appealing to the wider public for any contribution of building material they may be able to provide.