The revelation of Bill O’ Reilly’s harassment case, has made headlines everywhere, as the tough talking Fox News host of the O’Reilly factor, Bill O’Reilly is coming under heavy criticism by many, that he should be fired for his conduct.
On April fools day was no joke, when an investigation was revealed that five women had been given sums totaling $13 million by either Fox News or O’Reilly, in exchange for not pursuing litigation over allegations of harassment, as well as for not going public on the matter.
The accusers were all women who either worked directly for O’Reilly or who appeared on “The O’Reilly Factor,” said a spokesperson of The Times. Complaints included verbal abuse, unwanted advances and lewd comments, the paper said, citing documents and interviews.
Of the five settlements from Bill O’ Reilly’s harassment case, four involved sexual harassment claims and the fifth involved verbal abuse allegations, The Times reported.
The largest settlement was a payout of $9 million in a 2004 sexual harassment lawsuit filed against O’Reilly by former Fox News producer, Andrea Mackris.
Two of the settlements were previously known before, Times report, but three others were unearthed by the paper.
About a week after the Times report, Fox News’ parent company, 21st Century Fox, asked the law firm Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison to investigate at least one of the allegations against O’Reilly.
“21st Century Fox investigates all complaints and we have asked the law firm Paul, Weiss to continue assisting the company in these serious matters,” the company said in a statement.
The investigation was launched after a complaint was phoned in to the network’s corporate hot line by Wendy Walsh, a former regular guest on the show, and her attorney, Lisa Bloom. The two women posted the complaint if Bill O’ Reilly’s harassment case on YouTube.
“In my more than 20 years at Fox News Channel, no one has ever filed a complaint about me with the Human Resources Department, even on the anonymous hotline,” said O’Reilly. “I have put to rest any controversies to spare my children.”
Walsh said O’Reilly reneged on an offer to secure her a lucrative job on the network after she declined his invitation to join him in his hotel suite after a dinner in early 2013, of which the Bill harassment continued.
It is now revealed that the host announced on April 11 that he would be taking a pre-planned vacation and return to air on April 24.
“The arrangements, including airline and hotel reservations, for this vacation were made last October,” Mark Fabiani, according to a spokesman for O’Reilly,. “The timing coincides with the period Mr. O’Reilly often takes off in and around his children’s spring break.”
Such vacation has sparked numerous outrage on social media, with mixed reactions from the public. Some have said “If it’s his usual vacation time, then he’s entitled to it,” to “This is disgusting and he should be arrested and charged.” Other share similar echos but are waiting on the investigation while some say “He’s finally getting what he has been doing for years to others, hope women’s rights activists will look into the matter, as to the type of men being represented on tv and what women, even while being educated and qualified for a job goes through.”